Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Once upon a Time in Minneapolis

 Well, the pandemic has left me suffering from ennui, and not reading or writing as much as I should have. It's a beautiful day for a walk in Minneapolis, which I did this morning (we get excited by temperatures approaching 40 degrees Fahrenheit here at this time of year.)

I'm reading Jill Lepore's "These Truths," a one volume history of the United States, and Jeanette Wilkerson's Caste, which has enlightened me about the roadblocks Black Americans face in this country. I've also been making my way through an enlightening collection of Black poetry, interspersed with some essays and interviews, "A Garden of Black Joy." It's edited and includes essays by Keno Evol, who founded Black Table Arts for Black writers here in Minnesota. 

And of course social media keeps a slew of mostly contemporary poetry before my eyes on a daily basis. I'm particularly fond of poetryisnotaluxury's feed on instagram, as well as Forgotten Good Poems on Twitter. 

Well, time to get back to reorganizing home library shelves as I continue to procrastinate on my backlog of reading. 


No comments:

Post a Comment